Thursday, March 02, 2006

Kjell

Let me tell you about my dear teacher, Kjell.

Some people would say he is my ex-teacher, but for a Chinese, we say "一日為師, 終生為父", which means "Teacher for one day, father for the whole life." For me, this Chinese proverb is not only a philosophy, but it happens in real life ---- Kjell IS STILL my teacher, and he always will be.

For me Kjell is the closest idea of "teacher" in an Oriental concept: He is strict, looks very serious, but yet caring and full of love towards student.

Since I studied with him, he never gave up asking about my progress every time I see him, even until now, it is the same. Every time he is in NY, he would call me and meet up with me for a meal ---- a meal that he insists paying for his student. My progress in violin playing is always his first thing to ask about. He even wants to see my lesson every time he gets here! Too bad he never had the chance to do so.

Understanding a student's financial situation is also a big part of his goodness too. Since I studied with him, he never complained that my violin or bow is not good enough. When I told him people said that I should change my violin, and that I have outgrown it, he asked me not to listen to those people, "It's a trap," he said.

Kjell and me are both super jazz lovers, he used to bring me some jazz CDs and asked me to burn them for my own collection, "Don't go buy them, it's a waste of money, safe your money for some good use!"

Kjell is such a person, kind-hearted and caring. And he is always trying very hard to set me a good role model, no matter as a musician or a man. He is a father figure to me!

Together with my current teacher Danny, Kjell is one of my best 2 teachers I ever had!

No comments: