Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Miss Saigon

I received a voice from Jeff Samaha --- the director of Ridge Chorale --- one day, telling me that Geoffrey Hull, my trumpeter friend whom I played for his final recital, recommended me to play in this gig, the legendary musical, Miss Saigon.

Pay isn't too well, 50 bucks per service (same as for concert), but hell, why not? It's a whole new experience for me, also it's a legendary musical! So I took this gig.

Surprisingly, Jeff sent me the first violin part. Bigger surprise was, there is only one player for each part, so I am playing by myself! There are some nice solos in there.

The part isn't too hard to play, only a few spots which imitates the repetitive sound of gamelan that needs extra care.

Tonight was the first dress rehearsal, at last I can roughly see the show with the lightings and costumes! I have to confess that the second scene, "The Heat is On in Saigon", was my favourite. The chicks in there were wearing bikinis that's why! Haha! But luckily I didn't miss any of my notes.

The rehearsals were quite long, usually 4 hours. As for tonight, it started at 8pm, and they original wanted to let us go at around 10:30pm, but due to some technical difficulties, it ran till, 11-ish. I was hungry and tired like mad! Too bad I went there by somebody else's car, otherwise I would have had leave the place for very good reason ---- time's up baby!

Tomorrow will be the last dress rehearsal, and day after tomorrow.... not the end of the world....will be the first show!

The the last show will be on April 1st. You can check the show time on my MySpace site.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're doing us all proud Chern Hwei! Congrats on the Butterfly Lovers concerto performance too!

Violinuts said...

Thanks Doc! Say hi to your daughter!