Sunday, March 19, 2006

My Friend Muneyoshi

There is this interesting guy that I knew from PMF 2002.

Great violinist. Great person.

He won the first prize in ToHo (his undergrad school, one of the best music schools in Japan).

Muneyoshi is his name.

I think we started our friendship by talking about Roby Lakatos. We were discussing about how he did all the crazy techniques on the violin. Since then we kept in touch on and off, but we never lose touch.

When I first got here in NY, I got a call from him, saying that he wanted to come for audition and needed a place to stay.

Since then, we were very much in touch again.

Now he is doing his grad studies in Eastman with Kopelman, and he comes down once in a while to crash into my sofa. We don't talk much, unless necessary, but still, you feel that he is your friend. We still talk about transcendental violin technique, one of his favourite things. We could discuss it till dawn, no problem.

Muneyoshi's a funny character under his quiet looks. He is up for anything, you could ask him to go to the supermarket with you and he would be totally interested and ended up discovering some interesting stuff that you could spend hours to laugh about. (Remember your Chinese sexual elixir Mune? Haha!!)

I brought him to Forest Hills Park that day, cuz I told him that place looked like the backdrop of Miyazaki Hayao's "Kiki's Special Delivery Service". He was so happy and explored that place with me for about an hour.

I hope Muneyoshi could come more often, and we could check more weird stuff --- something that New York is never lack of --- in the future! And I wish he could event some crazy motherfuckin' technique on the violin too!

No comments: