Monday, December 17, 2007

Like an action thriller...

Sometimes the life of freelancing does not only involve yourself but other people too. It involves people around you as well.

For example: You will need to make full use of your own network of friends and people when you're in seriously urgent needs.

I took a last minute gig the other day to play for a church on Sunday (yesterday) and was supposed to rush over to Bitter End to play a singer/songwriter gig.

To my horror, in the last half hour before I left my house to go to 74 St station to meet up my contact person Leo, I found out that I had to take a 7.34pm train to go to Grand Central after the gig and I had to spend 1 and a half hours on the train which is just UNACCEPTABLE!

Now what?

I started to call my housemate Chen Han, who happened to be in Flushing hanging with his buddy that time. "Dude uh...can you come back right now?"

He said, "W..what's goin' on??"

I went, "I need you to sub for me right now."

So he actually took the first subway train he could catch to rush back home. I could actually see him running outside the window. I went downstairs to open the doors for him, and he ran up and changed his clothes without even closing his door (kinda funny). Grabbed his violin and music stand and ran downstairs to the subway station.

I said, "I will give you the contact's number but now run! I will call you on the train!"

So he did, and I gave him Leo's number while he's on the subway.

Finally after a while, he called back, saying that "I'm in."

Damn, everything happened in less than 30 minutes. It's so fast it felt like an action thriller!

No comments: