Monday, July 31, 2006

HMI 06 (2nd part, week two)

So now's the end of week two. Let me look back and see what happened.

x x x x x x x x x x x x x

Allan Pasqua's improv class on Monday was awesome, he taught Giant Steps in the class. He designated some practising schemes, such as playing the changes in 14 bars, which means cut down the last two bars to lessen the feeling of settling down. This is for practising your skills of knowing where you are in the changes. Pretty tough, especially when he asked the students to trade 8 with the drummer, pengsan! They would all go back to 16 bars so easily, haha!

Nothing much to say about this week except Laurence Rosenthal came in to conduct us playing his Miracle Worker score, man... that was some deep ass music he was making man. If the same music goes to any other conductor, it would turn into another cheesy Hollywood music. Then Johnny Mandel came in to conduct his songs "A Time For Love" and "Emily" as well. Man, I can't help but be deeply touched by the music. And I totally salute to Mr Mandel because he is already 80 over years old like Larry, but he is still so clear about EVERY SINGLE note that we play. He could HEAR EVERY WRONG NOTE people did. He could hardly move his arms, but sure as hell his brain could move!!

Then it was the Big Band concert, pretty kick ass with Christian McBride. It was awesome! There was big party after that, threw by the string section, but sorry lah, I didn't contribute any beer, I only consume them, haha!! I even did a beer bong with two beers inside, crazy... And we were hugging each other so lovingly after we were all "gone", especially A and H! Haha! That was fun.

The film concert on the next day was awesome! People loved it, and we loved it too! I thought Richard Kaufman did a great job in conduct Austin Powers and Spiderman with the big screen behind us. Everything was DEAD ON the cues!!! My god... How could he possibly do that?!!

Post-concert party was another thing worth mentioning is that I jammed, for the first time in the post-concert party, with the real jazz cats, and the audiences and sponsors that came were all there. That was a bold move, I know... But at least that gained myself a little respect rather than hiding myself in a corner. String players who improvise should have more balls and stand out and say something with their horns!!! (See the video, although you can't see me, but you can hear very well for sure! )



After the concert, I found myself breaking up with HP... Might be a good thing though. But I'm sure she's feeling very very bad. I'm sorry HP, but this is a decision I have to make. I hope you will find someone that loves you back as much as you love him. Dont' find that asshole back again... promise?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice job mate!

Violinuts said...

Thanks Chow! Haha!

Anonymous said...

I don't know about string players needing balls. It's not that simple. More than balls, they need ears, to know what's going on - the amount of jazz musicians I've talked to who complain about stringers coming into a session and stinking the whole place out. . .Makes me want to keep in the corner. . .Oh, and the ability to swing like a muthafucker.