Sunday, March 11, 2007

My two nights with Boplicity

Heard about this band for a while since Julian dismissed his old band Happy People. Boplicity's hitting the scene with storm, I would say, even if nobody knows about it, I don't really give a shit, because they really are.

You know, I knew all the cats in the band except Cher Siang the pianist. I knew how they play and I also know them personally.

But after hearing the first tune they played in the first night in Top Room (March 9th), I felt that I didn't know them anymore.

What the fuck has happen to these people?!

EVERY SINGLE motherfucker in the band played like there is no tomorrow. Holy shit, everybody sets fire under my chair and burned my ass until I wanna jump!

Man to tell the truth, I was too surprised. See, I played with Martin before I went off to study in New York, but since then I didn't know how much he grew, I only knew he was talented and shit. But now, GODDAMN! He can play his ass off man!! He swings soooo damn much better... man if you're reading this, I'm fuckin' proud of you man, really, and I feel honoured to have played in the same band with you before.

Cher Siang, everybody was telling me about this cat, ravin' about him. Damn, he's really somethin' too, he definitely pushed the band so much ahead of its peers. He's the kinda player that would push you to show what you have. Great technique, great chops... what more can i say...

Vincent, damn, always so in tune and reliable, cool man.

Julian, mastermind behind this band, if it weren't him and his passion, this wouldn't happen. So obviously he's enjoying what they're doing on stage, he played his hearts out!!

And Eddie, you little prick, I rarely hear you solo before this, man, they told me you're a very musical person, and lemme tell you what, they're right!! You're deep man, you've got da soul!!! Really, I really enjoyed your solos..

So the second was designated for me, I went up as a special guest, and it became B+1.

I played Manda's Mood as opening, Cher Siang was a funny guy, he quoted the chorus of Chang Hung Liang's "Ni Zhi Dao Wo Zai Deng Ni Ma?" (Do you know I'm waiting for you?), we laughed our asses off. So I quoted the verse of the same song when I soloed. Haha! That was some funny shit. Only then I realized that this pop song actually only consists of 4 chords, Hahaha!!!

Then we played "Chloeithcka", oh my god, Julian on soprano almost literally took a knife and ripped his heart out and show it to the audience while it was still beating. You know what I mean? I think if there really is a God, he would have heard Julian's cry from the soprano that night. It pierced through the ceiling, the roof, the clouds, the atmosphere, the stars... I was touched...

Next, "Riders on the Lost Track". We were literally LOST... Vincent didn't really know how to play a joget bassline..hehe... But Julian saved it back... haha...

"Geylang" was the closing tune of the second set, now I could tell that most audiences didn't know what the fuck was going on with this tune. They looked so lost, as this tune is really experimental. It's based on the Malay folk tune, but reharmed in the way that you can play anything over it with D minor, but then we went while and started to avant-garde our asses off. That was really fun for us, but them kids down there were completely blanked... It was actually a very soulful and daring act of the night, too bad KL audiences didn't dig it.

Third set, was again mainly the Boppers' acts, I only joined in in the last two tunes, I thought I did alright...

The second night was almost the same, except we only played two of my tunes, which was Chloeitchka and Manda's Mood. The fire and passion were still the same from the Boppers.

I had a great experience, seriously, thanks Julian for asking me to play this gig. I felt emotionally, spiritually satisfied after these two long nights. I felt that I gave out all I had, and I felt good.

Thanks Boppers!

1 comment:

Shoehorn said...

I had the same thought too... They are all motherfuckers, you too. But I knew you for so long and we grew together in the States... not too surprised to see you got in fire.

But Boplicity..... hell... What can I say? KL people, this is the new generation at another level. All of them, ALL five cats there were burning my butt off the chair!!!
Vincent was a surprise for me. Yes Joseph has his characteristic but Vincent is the one that blend so well with this band.
Martin, BIG BIG surprise for me (imagine the JJ Martin)... I watched you most of the time except solos.
Eddie, you swing better than julian sometimes hahahaha. You are so much better than the Eddie I saw three years ago in Alexis. Everytime I see you, you are getting better!
Cher Siang, I would still say "I come for you!!" but I am straight :D

Julian, I am really proud of you, and first time I am proud to be a Kajang kampong boy. When my dad first told me that his friend's son came back from Australia with an accounting cert but playing saxophone, I was thinking that what the heck these non-musicians trying to dig in this industry... sorry Julian, I was totally wrong and I would say you are one of my model among young musicians in Malaysia that I always remind myself I shouldn't stop working hard to catch up your pace.

You guys are playing REAL jazz with Lampa!! KL funk is just fucking annoying... you all have some important missions - educate people here. what music can be, and what music should be.

Can't wait to see this band when Julian returns after soaking himself in NY sphere. ALso, I can't wait to see more surprises from Martin and Eddie.