Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Of Oistrakh and Men...

The biggest difference between David Oistrakh and the pitiful mortal violinists is ---- he has a real heart.

I was watching four different versions of Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto: Akiko Suwanai, Perlman, Midori and Oistrakh.

Suwanai was clean, very clean, but I couldn't feel no music from her. It sounded very plain from her, like a glass of water, nothing more. And she won the Tchaikovsky competition --- that shows you how people appreciate music these days.

Perlman, you can hear some music from him, but he's just easy going with some of the passages, not detailed enough.

Midori, very emotional, but I only felt the fire in her and not much of other things. I was touched in a certain parts, but in the more tender parts, it didn't feel so deep.

Oistrakh, King David, the God, even just by listening to the opening phrase of the first theme, you'd know that he is the one! I dunno how he did it, but he just did it! It's really something amazing. See, of all the videos, Oistrakh's video is oldest black-and-white clip. But for some reason, his violin sound just penetrates through the muffled old recording sound and sounded like a modern recording!

You see the difference between Oistrakh and the usual mortal men? I think I did.

No comments: