Sunday, April 16, 2006

The Return of Perfect 5th

I've been hating my fingered perfect 5th for a while.

Somehow I just couldn't get it in tune even if I tuned my A and E strings to ULTRA PERFECT 5TH!

At first I thought I suck big time because I didn't practice all that much (that's too kind, I almost never had time to practice actually) these days. But when I was dead sure I got the right positions (hey, the fingerboard ain't that big ok?) and I still couldn't get it right, I knew something was wrong ---- maybe the weather (it turned warm radically these days), my violin or my string.

It's like, when I place my first finger on two strings, the E is already lower. If I squeezed another finger under my first finger, then it will sound perfect 5th.

Most peculiar.

So I called up Martin at 11 something last night --- he was half asleep (sorry man, didn't know you're such an early sleeper!) --- to ask about this, he told me it's gotta be the string. He suggested me to try to change one of them.

So the only possibility left is my E string because my A string was only 2 weeks old. I had been using the E for a month or so if I'm not mistaken. All I know was it got a bit rusty in the first position (I've got the strangest sweat ever I tell ya).

So finally I changed my string tonight, and guess what? MY DAMN PERFECT 5TH CAME BACK!!!

But then of course, I have to fix my wrong finger positions that is a bad habit caused by the stupid old E string that lost its tension! Kind of a trouble too!

Over and out. Sleepy.

No comments: