Sunday, June 04, 2006

Chris Howes

That was almost two years ago.

I came out from Manhattan School of Music after my lesson with Mr. John Blake. I carried my violin on the back and waited for the 1 train in the 125th St station.

This big guy came up to me and asked me, "Hi, you're a violinist?" I said "yeah". Then he said, "Do you study here? (as in MSM)" I said no I was taking a class with John Blake. Then he was like, "Oh!! John is my good friend!"

So we went up to the train later, he didn't stop talking to me. I asked him what is that big box carrying, cuz he was having two cases at that time. So he told me it's a baritone violin, and immediately took it out to show me ---- in that packed rush hour train. He didn't only show me how it looked like, he even showed me how it sounds by plucking changes on it.

I didn't know I was getting to know a great man and musician that would change my improvisational life forever.

He told me his name is Christian Howes, gave me his card, and invited me to go to his place to play with him together with his cellist Dana Leong.

I was a new guy in New York then, how the hell would I know who the hell is Dana Leong?

Because I didn't really know him well, I didn't dare to take that very kind offer, I told him I need to go home.

I promised him I will keep in touch with him though.

After that brief encounter, shit started to stir.

I started to see Chris' face on Strings magazine, both in an interview and a Yamaha Silent poster ---- which he is the sales representative.

Only then I knew how big he was.

I went up to his website and listened to his samples and told myself that he is probably the greatest jazz violinist in our time!

I finally had a chance to call him up to ask to play with him.

He immediately said yes and asked me to meet him up in the Musicians' Union.

That was a chilly afternoon before my 2005 summer vacation. Chris was rehearsing with John Abercrombie in the Union.

After he was done, he told me sorry that he couldn't get a room in the Union. "But let's do it outside!" he said to me cheerfully.

I rolled my eyes big and looked at him, "Outside??"

He was like nothing bothered him, "Yeah, isn't it a beautiful day?"

So we went out and went to this high school besides the Union and started to play. After a few minutes, he certainly could tell that I had more to learn. So he stopped me and started to ask me why do I play like that? And also other very simple, almost silly questions ---- that are actually very deep ---- that we usually avoided or ignored in life. We kept on playing till the school security told us that we can't do that in a private property.

So we changed our spot to the sidewalk of the streets, and we kept on going for about 2 hours. The chill penetrated into my bone but I didn't make a sound as a complanation because I knew this was a rare opportunity.

He taught me so many things, and was being strict. He really helped me a great deal!

He didn't want money from me, he said he was happy to be able to help me. I was very touched by his kindness.

And just now, I went to his show, meeting him one year after the lesson. He still looked the same, but his solos were amazing!! That was the first time --- but will not be the last --- I've seen him playing live.

During the break between the first and second set, I went up to ask him when I can have lesson with him. He really tried hard to squeeze out time for me, and suggested a variety of venues, such as his apartment in Brooklyn, and Iridium Club's backstage during Les Paul's show! (he wanted to give me lesson in between the songs he doesn't guest play in)

Unfortunately, none of them works for me because of my tight schedule.

So I guess I'll have to meet him after the summer. I have a feeling it will be exciting! In the mean time, time to start seriously practising my chops!

4 comments:

Shoehorn said...

Good to meet such great people. I wanna meet them too!!! You better do well. There are chances that may come only once in your life.

Violinuts said...

shut up bitch, don't talk like my mother!! hehe

Ming Wai said...

gosh, do all US grads speak like that? Heheheh, a conservative soul from Malaysia.

Violinuts said...

Not as Holy as you mah...