Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Traditions, root, and inner searching...

Rainy today...
I woke up blurred as always, thinking that I should be fine running to the corner store and buy an umbrella. Aunt Zhou told me that it's fairly heavy, she lent me an umbrella, how nice of her!

I've never seen such a big rain in New York before.

Anyway, after the usual bullshit-filled POA rehearsal, I walked up to 42nd and watched 2 movies ---- with the price of one.

Initially I wanted to check out Grindhouse, but the line was extended to the streets, so I gave up. I went into the boxoffice and saw something that I've been interested to see ---- The Namesake. Also in the schedule was Peaceful Warrior, adapted from the book "Way of the Peaceful Warrior" that Charlie recommended to me a while ago.

The Namesake is the kind of movie that very easily touches my heart. It's about a person's realization of the value of his tradition and what he had missed throughout the years. I guess I had a similar experience as "Gogol" in the movie, somewhat. But I never looked down or doubted my own culture and tradition as he did, I just didn't find it so valuable until I get to New York City (same place as where Gogol is).

Sometimes unexpected things will make you see things a bit differently. Just like my two years of absence in Chinese New Year back home made me treasure Chinese New Year so damn much that I actually got mad when my family was acting as if they don't care on the dining table.

I went straight into the other auditorium that showed "Peaceful Warrior". The movie is just so-so, but you can totally understand what the original novel is all about, this makes me wanna read the book.

I've known about the way of inner-searching for quite some time, since I got close to Buddhism. I've always understand the power of it, and am trying to follow the Buddhism teaching of being humble and kind-hearted. I think it did change my life a bit, but I have never been very serious about it. I think I should ---- not because I want a decent reward or anything, it just makes me feel better and happier, I think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

namesake,,,ah, i know that one. the authour of stories of ...maladies ..? g i cannnot remember. i read that book. pretty interesting. i was goin to read samesake as well but never done.