Sunday, November 19, 2006

Jenny Scheinman Orchestra

I went to see this group that I've heard so much about in Tonic.

Quite a surprise to see Bill Frisell on guitar, Ron Miles on trumpet (whom I heard him playing in front of a heavy metal band), and Doug Wieselman on clarinets.

My bigger surprise was Alex Greenbaum, my friend, was there playing in the cello section!

Other names worth mentioned were Mark Chung (the guy who has the string jazz directory website), Jennifer Choi, Ron Lawrence, Natalie Haas...

For some reason, the folksy musical style didn't particular move me as much as some other shows I've seen in Tonic.

But I have to say, I learned so much just by watching Ron Miles soloing over the Western cowboy groove, he totally switched the groove from Western mode into jazz mode by adding in some syncopations in the right spot of the beat. I dunno how many people would notice that, but I totally felt it and was amazed by it. That feeling was badder than an orgasm!!

Doug Wieselman played some crazy shit on both the clarinet and bass clarinet, that shit was funky!

Bill Frisell's sound was as spacey as he used to be, can't say I particularly love it, but it does work well in some places.

I talked to most of these people after the set and was pretty psyched!

2 comments:

piew said...

great to hear that you know the feeling of orgasm

Anonymous said...

Midori was in Frankfurt yesterday but I didn't go.. could imagine CH's disguise look if I told him "I like to watch Midori's Concert". Anyway, her programme was almost the same as the one I've seen. Bach..Strauss..Brahms.. does she play other pieces ah?

Joyce