Friday, November 24, 2006

Yup, Akim.

So there I was, in that big and beautiful environment of BAMcafe, performing with 10 other great artists and musicians ----- IT'S AKIM FUNK BUDDHA'S HIP-HOP HOLIDAY!!

I got there around 7pm with Heun Jeung, only Pete the beatboxer was there.

We talked a bit, and Teebirt came in, she plays the suling (Balinese flute) and sings too. She said she used to play the classical flute, but now she's playing everywhere in the world with aborigins in the jungle and etc. She looks like a very soulful lady.

Then Hitomi the soprano came, then Akim, Akiko the funky geisha, Vivian the percussionist, Felix the bassist (first time meeting him), Kossan the sansen-playing Zen monk, Aaron the shakuhachi and trumpet player, then a half-Japanese guy, forgot his name, but he dressed up like Reiden in Mortal Kombat.

We introduced ourselves a little, then it was soundchecking time.

The soundmen were sooo professional, I've never met anyone like that in my life, they know their shit, and they're super nice to me too. The chief even gave me two 9 volt batteries for my preamp box.

Talking about preamp, my Fishman Platinum EQ model worked very well! I sounded 10 (or more) times better than when I was playing in 169 Bar. And this was my first time using it! I will try more shit on it when my amp arrives... hehehe...

The show went really well, with everybody's sponteinity, which is what Akim wants exactly.

He was right, it's 80% improvisation and 20% fixed. But even the stuff we rehearsed weren't been used entirely, Nature Boy was left behind.

HP and Firepower came to watch the gig, so was Nicholas, but he was late, I should've spanked him with my carbon fiber bow... Haha! But he was nice, he secretly took some pics before he got stopped by someone in the cafe.

The end of the show was a frenzy, so many people came out and danced with Akim, it became a party! And although my right arm hurts like hell after playing bow-chops for 90 minutes, I felt so good doing it.

Yeah man... Sometimes we DO need something like this to tell us how fun music can be.

No comments: