Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Working with Akim Funk Buddha

Tonight was the second time I played with Akim Funk Buddha, very very hip and cool Zimbabwe hip-hop artist.

He's not the kinda raw street guy who only knows how to do some rapping and dancing and looks like a gangster. He is far more sophisticated than that, and also more intellectual than that.

He went around the world to learn different types of music, including going to Bali to learn Kechak and Gamelan.

As an artist, Akim knows what he wants but he wouldn't want things to be the same every time. Working with him doesn't require reading, because he wants it raw and fresh and spontaneous.

So you went into the rehearsal space empty handed right? At least empty headed cuz you have your instrument in your hand. You won't know what to do. But he would tell you, "Not knowing something doesn't equal to confusion." I think that's his biggest philosophy, which fits him very well because he is a great leader.

You see, when he's around, only with his body movements (he dances real well too) and her human beatboxing, you can already feel the drive and the energy in him, and when you groove with him, he encourages you to bring it out more, never say negative shit when you did something wrong --- what's wrong to him anyway? Anything can become right when you play with him.

One more thing worths mentioning: My time feel got so much better after I played with him. I mean I was playing a duo with him rapping on my beat, you can imagine how tight my beats were!

A funny thing is, I somehow looks like my cousin brother Chee Kong, so funny!

If you dunno who is Akim Funk Buddha, go check out his website.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

CH, du hast so viel frei Zeit, ja!?! Akim Funk Buddha... What a name. It seems wrong to combine the verbs together. stresssssss!!!!! I hv so much to study....!!!! ****needs to concentrate******

JHYF

Violinuts said...

Ich nicht sprechen Deutsch!