Thursday, December 21, 2006

Corcoran Holt's Graduation Recital

I managed to get out of Smaldone's recording session earlier than planned, so I went next door to listen to my bro Corcoran Holt's final recital.

Corcoran's a bassist who has been a killer since I first saw him play.

Today he brought together a band of killers like himself to burn up the remaining of his graduate school days. Unfortunately I couldn't remember any of these cats' names, they sure were a whole group of motherfuckers.

I went in at one thirty pm, which is around 1/3 of the recital, Corcoran was doing a duet with the drummer. Man, were they tight! I was totally blown away by the drummer, whose command on the instrument was just totally phenomenal!

This guy burns in whatever situation, whether when he was playin' loud or soft. His pattern was varied and inconsistant but you never felt anything was off his hands. He puts fire under everybody's ass and kept burning them until they all ran like motherfuckers. I have total respect for his playing.

Now a killin' drummer can't make it without a good pianist and bassist, like I said, Corcoran's motherfucker on the bass, and the pianist too, was great in complementing the soloists. The whole rhythm section locked up so tight together that they almost shared the same brains.

The saxophonist was a great player, oh man, his playin' was just beautiful and in the same time fiery!!! RJ the trombonist is more of a cooler and lyrical type of player, and he's a motherfucker too.

The most memorable number they played was "Ele Efe" by Christian McBride, I almost teared when I heard it. The sound was so supreme it would lift you up to another level of the heaven!

I felt I learned something in this concert. I learned that "love" is an important thing in a band.

Don't look at me like I'm nuts, because when you have love between one another, you want to support your bandmates while you play together, when they're down, you lift them up and encourage them by burning it underneath. That's how it should be, I believe.

Love is the key.

No comments: