Saturday, December 30, 2006

The Zorn Thing

I reached the Stone at 7.55pm, the line was really long, I didn't expect that, and I was thinking to myself, "Yeah better prepare for the worst, motherfucker, this tiny place will be packed in no time."

And it did.

I thought this is the end of me, I came all the way from Queens just to see John Zorn in action and this will be my second time going home disappointed.

No wait!

The guy came out and started to tell us, "A couple more minutes."

Zorn started shredding on center stage with these other guys, we could hear him faintly from outside. Wasn't loud but at least something for our thirst.

After the fire department cat went away for a while, they started to let us in. I was one of the lucky chinks who could get in and listen to my heroes!!

Once I got in, Mark Feldman, Sylvie Courvoisier (Mrs Feldman), and Okkyung Lee, started to do some crazy improv.

You see, if you don't listen to them carefully, you would complain that they're making noise. But those ain't merely noise if you observe and listen closely, they actually were interacting with each other ---- unison, juxtaposing, doubling, harmonizing, etc.

After that Zorn came out with a bass clarinetist and soprano player, playing this awesome wind trio. Dude, lemme tell u, that shit was like pre-composed, they were locking up so well you can't hear no flaw in them!! Too bad I am not able to know all of their names...

Also in the show was Mark playing with trombonist Jim Staley, Sylvie shredding with electric guitarist John King and clarinetist, also a grand finale with all them motherfuckers.

They made noise, but they interact, they clash into each other like thunder and lightning, they flow into each other like streams.

Noise with sense ---- it's the "Zorn thing".

No comments: