Thursday, May 03, 2007

The End of the World

Sky, entirely orange, thickened by rolling clouds and grumbling thunder, with an eye of a spiral in the middle, ever spinning.

Earth, bare, dry, and liveless, not even a crow could be seen.

They seem so close together, the sky and the earth.

But when he appeared in between, one could see there were more space than one would imagine, under that visual condition. Thus, it puts a man to shame to see how tiny he was.

But that simply didn't mean anything now.

The end is near, and he was the last one.

No, he was not, his laptop was still alive.

He was stripped naked, dirt and dust all over his body. He felt hot and dry, thirst of water but didn't have a drop since 5 days ago. His only companion now was his laptop that for some reason was still alive without battery, and still online.

The girl on the other end might have been rotten or done pecking by hungry crows for days. That end should be a place called the United Kingdom or Britain, or some called it England, before the world fell apart.

He remember that the last thing she told him while having a casual conversation was "If the world comes to an end, I pray to God don't let me be the last one to die!" While he replied, "No, let me be the last one to die, cuz I have nothing, just a lonesome figure in the human world, waiting for his doom someday, it makes no difference whether I live longer or shorter."

This was a promise he sort of made for fun, not without his usual bitterness towards his own love life --- always falling in love with the wrong girls on the net.

But not so much later, he found out that there really was such thing as "God is listening to your prayer".

His wish was granted. Now he is walking alone, tired, weak, but still far away from death, with his laptop that has a chat window that connects to the other end that will never respond.

But once in a while, he would type in a few words and send it over to her. That's her only way of feeling like a human ---- that's what they said: Human needs companion.

He kept on walking on earth for about a week more, when he finally really really exhausted, and realised that the end is near for him. He collapsed.

His fingers were still noodling over the keyboard, his spelling was still precise even though his fingers were trembling.

Slowly and surely he typed.

"My our has come, my love. I feel proud to be the last human being to witness it all. I'm in pain, great pain. I'm hungry, thirsty, and tired. In fact I do not know what kept me alive till now. My skin is burning because of the heat of the ground I'm laying on now, it kills my nerves! But I still do not regret dying for you, my love. It is my greatest pleasure in my life. Goodbye, and hello..."

Enter.

And the battery went off.

Silence.

Darkness.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow!

oi, compiled all the things you wrote, and publish it la... 'kisah benar %&*'

HuiSin68 said...

wow CH u can really write huh.. good story~

Anonymous said...

yea ler why not publish ur own story

Violinuts said...

CM: Kisah Benar my ass
hui sin: thanks
vampy: wait till I write until the 100th

Julian said...

Got a nice title for your book:

"THE VIOLIN DILEMMA: Short Tales From A Blur Man's Diary" - Chern Hwei, Fung (or Stupid Doorman at Blue Note Club)

Dig?

PS: listening to Keith Jarrett: My Song.. cannot tahan the stupid "nyeh..nyehh..".. laughing my brains off!!