Thursday, May 24, 2007

LIRR's Asia/Pacific Heritage Celebration

I was pleasantly surprised by the call I got a few weeks ago from Long Island Rail Road, asking me to play for their Asia/Pacific Heritage Celebration.

Today was the gig, I woke up pretty early in the morning, which was quite surprising, then I rushed to the Woodside Station to catch the train to LIRR's Hillside Maintenance side. LIRR provided the tickets to me!

My performance was after a talk by Harendra Sirisenda, a Sri Lankan scholar.

Funny shit was, the announcer pronunced my name as "Choi". WTF?!

Even funnier thing was, once he introduced me, he told the audiences to start having their food! Haha!

OK, so I was kind of an entertainer there. But hey, I get good money, why not?

So, whole-heartedly, I started my first piece, which was an untitled spontaneous improvisation. Some people actually sat down and listened to it, and clapped after I was done. Nice. So I continued finishing my programme by playing "Night at the Fishermen's Boat" and "Joy of Spring" --- two Chinese tunes that I can never forget in my life, as I've played it soooooo many times! Hehe...

Anyway, that's my gig today, not bad... Was fun, pressureless.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice. congrats :) hey, are we ever going to play your friend's piece? I still have the music...

Anyway, I have to go to graduation this week... omg.. more qc >(

Violinuts said...

He's moving back to Malaysia now, haha! We'll see. We'll definitely play it if he finished it before you leave.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!