Thursday, September 07, 2006

Blah...

Just went up to read Joyceh's blog, suddenly felt an urge to write some shit here too. So here I am.

I woke up fairly early, BY MICHELLE'S PHONE CALL!! It's OK Michelle, thanks for making me a normal person --- well, not that normal, but at least I woke up earlier than I used to. Yeah you're welcome, it's OUR gig anyways, we work together, so I have a responsbility to do something. Plus, I got the gig.

Then I started some "mou lei tau" (nonsense in Cantonese) chatting with Ken and Joyceh. Yes, three ways on Skype, pretty cool huh? The function is called "conference", just go and click "Tools", and click "Create a Conference", you can have multiple people to talk to in the same time.

Anyway, I had been text messaging JY for a bit, she told me she really like what I wrote, and she had been playing it for the whole morning. I'm glad. Yeah, thanks for borrowing me your name.

Then I went out to have some buns in the Chinese bakery on Kissena Blvd, met Ming, had some usual guy's dirty talk and nonsense chatting. Then went to the music building and met Dong and Dae-il and talked to them for a long while before I went to see Irving (Yes, that's my original intention to go to the music building, but i dunno what I'm thinkin'). So I made him notice that I haven't get the check yet, once again.

Then I came home, finally had a long telephone conversation with JY, for the first time. Only problem was that the sound was too muffled, couldn't really hear her well most of the time. But yeah, it was a good chat.

...

I had been telling people about my upcoming jazz gig, got a lot of greetings in my e-mail inbox, mostly saying that "I wish I could be there but good luck", that tells a lot. But I'm still thankful that these guys/girls actually took the trouble to reply me and gave me their best wishes.

I'm not too worried about not too many people attending though, because if you get a full house on your first gig, it doesn't mean that you'll get a full house on your second gig. People will either think you're nothing special, or would simply like to spend some money for other bands that they like as well.

You can't get the same crowd in every gig.

And now I can understand why artist kept on promoting themselves non-stop, because they HAVE to reach a bigger crowd so that there will always be a steady number of audiences in every gig. And also, that's why we need to keep on improving our crafts.

(Ray, please tell me if I'm wrong or if you have something to add up in this statement, please hit the "Comment" below and let me know, you know you're my father-figure, I always respect your statements. I know you're reading, man, come on! Start bitchin' at me!)

Music, no, it's not an easy job. Those of you who think we live our lives easily, please think again.

In this business, we always have to think about "What's next?". There is NO settling-down --- well maybe yes, in the orchestra, maybe. (But you still have to practice just in case some assholes wanna re-audition you, right?)

p/s: Oh, by the way, this is Ray Pizzi's quote of the day: "I'm intoxicated by your indifference". Bitchin' huh?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like someone's attracted to JY! Or at least you can't stop mentioning about the sweet voicehh!! You better don't talk to her like thatehh!! Later she no talkehh to youeh!! Oh, that was fun with the conference chat. Once again, you need to dig your ears. haha. I agree that it's a sad issue that the audience gives bad excuses to come for the 2nd performance. I've heard them say "I heard him/her play before already." So, even if you have a different repertoire, or you have improved a lot from the last time they will NOT take credit of it! If people appreciate music, they will not say something like that. argh..and i'm not being naive. they are IGNORANT. that says it all.

-JoYciehO-

Anonymous said...

How to keep being challenged when the end of the day, people don't value your work? IT'S HARD!

Anonymous said...

ooh..forgot my name.. that was me again..

EEKK!

joyce