Monday, October 16, 2006

Musical leadership/ Dong's Vid Rec/ Mark Feldman

These days I tend to write different things in one article, saves my time.

HJ's gig last night was good, wouldn't say fantastic, but decent for first timers.

Hey, at least they get so many audiences to come!

Trin's sound wasn't attracting me at all though. It's not her lines, just the sound.

This makes me rethink the importance of "sound", a word which Julian likes to repeat over and over again.

HJ has the sound, once she bows her cello, she's got that kinda intensity in her sound that Trin doesn't have. It's so distinctive!

But when Chris sat in, man, it was totally a different world! The band basically sounded like new once he stepped in.

Now, of course, Chris is much too experienced than them. But what I learned from him was the ability of his, guiding the band through high and low during his solo. Which means he was playing with the band, not playing karaoke like amateurs.

Sometimes we might tend to think that soloists should go free when doing solo, letting the rhythm section follow us. It's so untrue, no matter what it is, it's still chamber music playing! It's about ensemble and communication! When you have that and not living in your own world, you're leading the band --- then the audiences --- to another world.

x x x x x x x x x x x

I am grateful enough that Desmond called off the rehearsal today when I told him I have Dong's recording to do.

It was a video shooting session. We played excerpts from Appalachian Spring and Siegfried Idyll.

It sounded pretty good. Of course, players tonight were far better than the ones we had before in his other concerts.

At last I got to play Siegfried Idyll a little bit. I love that piece! :)

Too bad Manda wasn't playing...

x x x x x x x x x x x

My Mark Feldman CD came today, the title is "What Exit".

It's a good album, typical ECM sound, spacy and clean.

I like it. I am again amazed by Anders Jormin, the bassist who did his solo ECM album called "Xieyi" (写意). The reason was he showed another side of him that is opposed to Xieyi. He's more active in here, and he even showed that he could do some Indian fiddling on his bass!

Amazing.

I think Mark's compositions are awesome. A little Zorn-influenced, but very easy to listen to.

Great album Mark! I like it!

2 comments:

Julian said...

Man, I tell you it must be such a blast being in the midst of a rich musical environment! I wonder if KL will ever have something like that.

Maybe you could say it'll be up to us...but would Malaysians change their attitudes and their way of thinking?

One can only hope..

Now if only the haze would clear... damn..

Violinuts said...

Hehe... it takes time my man, it takes time... the key is "don't lose faith!"... as for the haze... it's the same... it takes time my man, it takes time... the key is "don't lose faith!"...