Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Orchestra rehearsal

No, this is not about the movie...

I know, I know... there's a movie by Fellini that has this title...

Anyway, today's Wednesday, so naturally, there was orchestra rehearsal!! Yay~~~

Wait, why do I sound so happy? I dunno. I shouldn't be. There could be a reason. But maybe I reason that I should explain in my other blog.

Anyways...

No, it didn't went well. Was pretty bad actually.

I was sitting with this chick who had no clue what to do but still played as loud as Joe Venuti.

But I didn't get mad at her and show my face or anything.

I know she's not up to that level, she's forced to play music that is WAY over her ability. I'm cool with it. I'm being patient about it.

I think one of the reasons that makes me reacted so was my own experiences (bad ones of course!) from the Malaysian Phil.

I was a hard time in there when some of the members in there were bitchin' at me telling me to keep my volume down and shit. I mean, if they told me nicely, it's fine. They either gave me a nasty look or simply just spitted words like "CAN'T YOU PLAY SOFTER?!!".

There are many ways with dealing with people who are in a lower position than you (experience wise). One is to get pissed yourself and later on piss them off as well; the other one is just to be nice and make him/her feel comfortable.

Now, why make yourself feel bad first of all? You KNOW that they can't be as good as you for the time being, even though you yelled at them and beaten them up.

So I chose to be the second type myself. When I really can't stand it, I would just suggest to them about what to do. Isn't that much better? Even if they didn't like your suggestions, they wouldn't get mad at you.

What an experience in MPO! I didn't only learn how to play in orchestra professionally, I also learned how to be a more decent person.

1 comment:

Julian said...

Hey dude...

Yeah, man.. that's quite something to think about, I tell ya...

About MPO, too bad it happened to ya.. I don't know whether it's their general look-down-on-asians attitude or what? I mean, there's a fine line when teaching somebody experience by raggin' them till they get screwed up, or making them feel comfy, and then tell them nicely...

Maybe the "jazz" in you have made you more "sensitive" than the other fellas in the MPO...means you can emphatize with others, even though they seem to irritate you at times..

Of course, when some are being asses, then you should rag the hell out of them!!!